Saturday, April 23, 2011

Not-so-daily, not-so-lolita

Lolitas of a certain age are allowed to break the rules occasionally. Why? Because I said so.

Here I am in a Megan Maude dress (which she specially made for me), no petticoat, no headdress, no socks, with raggedy-ass hair. The dress, with its dark green floral print, pretty much commanded me to be worn this way, calling upon my inner late-1990's Calvin Klein to reject every accessory I attempted to add, including the bow that is supposed to be on the center front neckline. Anything I had added would have detracted from the very natural, earthy, yet still feminine feeling of the green fabric against brown skin.

I wouldn't wear it to a meetup, but there is something to be said for a "coordinate" like this. You don't get mistaken for a child, a cosplayer, or Little Bo Peep, and you can go about your normal day without attracting undue attention. The leggings-and-flip-flops crowd at Kmart won't bat an eyelash, and the fact you're wearing a lolita dress is your little secret.

breaking the rules

No comments:

Post a Comment